Effortil® is the trade name of a drug with the active ingredient etilefrine.
Effortil® can be taken by patients who suffer from low blood pressure (arterial hypotension).
Mechanism of action
Effortil® is one of the so-called Sympathomimetics: these are Medicinal substances the one similar effect like the body's own hormones adrenaline and Norardrenaline have and overall the Performance of the body increase can. This will alleviate the common symptoms of arterial hypotension.
When taking Effortil® comes to one Increase in blood pressure by Narrowing of the vessels above all in the arms and legs. In addition, the Cardiac output (positive inotropic effect) and the Heart rate (positive chronotropic effect) increased.
In addition to Effortil®, the active ingredient Etilefrin is also found in the following preparations: Etilefrin-ratiopharm, Pholdyston and Thomasin.
Areas of application
Effortil® is used medically for circulatory disorders caused by low blood pressure.
If the blood pressure is lower than 110mmHg, the following symptoms may occur:
- Turning black before the eyes
Sometimes the low blood pressure leads to a loss of consciousness (syncope), which can be explained by a reduced blood flow to the central nervous system in the brain.
If such symptoms are present and can be proven to be explained by arterial hypotension, Effortil® can be taken.
Effortil® requires a pharmacy, but not a prescription. It is available non-retarded and retarded (delayed release). A maximum of 30 mg etilefrine should be taken without delay or 50 mg delayed per day. The preparations are usually given in the form of drops.
Read more on the topic: Low Blood Pressure And Nausea - You Can Do That!
The Side effectsthat when taking Effortil® occur, are all explained by an acceleration of the pulse (increased heart rate) and by the vasoconstriction that etilefrine creates:
- Cardiac arrhythmias, Palpitations
- High blood pressure
- Angina pectoris: Heart feeling
- sleep disorders
- a headache
- Bladder disorders: Problems urinating due to tension in the urethral muscles
Contraindications for taking Effortil®
Patients who suffer from the following diseases should not take Effortil®:
- Pheochromocytoma: here there is an uncontrolled release of adrenaline and noradrenaline in the adrenal gland.
- Glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye)
- Voiding disorders, including with enlarged prostate
- high blood pressure
- Arrhythmias associated with an increased heart rate (e.g. atrial fibrillation)
- Coronary artery disease (due to narrowing of the coronary arteries)
- Constricted heart valves (e.g. aortic valve stenosis)
- Hypertrophic obstructive heart disease (HOCM): abnormal thickening of the heart muscles with narrowing of the heart chambers.
You can read more alternative possibilities at the low pressure under: What to do if you have low blood pressure?
In the simultaneous use certain drugs with Effortil® life-threatening ones occur Interactions:
- Extreme increase in blood pressure: i.a. certain Asthma medication (e.g. fenoterol or antihistamines), thyroid hormones
- Racing heart, Cardiac arrhythmias: Atropine, digitalis preparations
- Decreased antihypertensive effect when taking Antidiabetic drugs (e.g. Metformin)
Use in pregnancy
in the first third of a pregnancy should Effortil® by no means be taken. Same goes for that Lactation. that the drug passes into breast milk: it must not be taken while breastfeeding.
In the Late pregnancy should be before taking one Consultation with the attending gynecologist.
Low blood pressure during pregnancy
Effortil® as a doping agent
Because of his performance-enhancing effect (Stimulant) Effortil® is considered to be Doping agents and is therefore prohibited in competitive sports.