Lozaar® is the trade name of the drug with the active ingredient losartan potassium.
Lozaar® belongs to the group of drugs Angiotensin II receptor antagonists and can thereby the Lower blood pressurethat it blocks angiotensin from binding to the receptor. Lozaar® can also help those Kidney function in patients with high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes mellitus (Diabetes) for long periods of time.
Because of this, the Indications for an application of Lozaar®:
- Treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension) in children (6 years and older), adolescents and adults
- Kidney protection in patients with high blood pressure and diabetes
- Treatment of Heart failure (Heart failure), in the event of failure of ACE inhibitors
- Risk reduction for one stroke.
Lorzaar® should not be taken
- when a Allergy to losartan or another component of the medication is present
- at Lactose intolerance, because Lorzaar® contains milk sugar
- with a clear Impaired liver function
- in the pregnancyespecially after the 3rd month
- while breastfeeding. Otherwise it may too severe harm to the child come
Diabetes mellitus, one impaired kidney function, as well as the simultaneous use of Aliskiren also speaks against taking Lorzaar®.
Restrictions on use
If the following situations exist, you must first take Lorzaar® absolutely consulted with a doctor about this become:
- Angioedema in the past
- strong Vomit and or diarrhea
- Low sodium or low potassium diet
- Narrowing or blockage of the kidney blood vessels (renal artery stenosis)
- Kidney transplant lately
- Renal dysfunction
- Liver dysfunction
- Heart failure (Heart failure)
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Treatment with Beta blockers (Antihypertensive)
- Disease of the heart valves or des Heart muscle
- Disease of the Coronary arteries
- Disease of the blood vessels of the Brain
- Increased payout of the Aldosterone hormone (primary hyperaldosteronism)
- Taking aliskiren to lower blood pressure
Other medicines taken can be influenced in their effect by Lorzaar® or influence the effect of Lorzaar®.
These include the following drugs:
- Drugs against high blood pressure
- Drugs against depressions (tricyclic antidepressants)
- Drugs against psychiatric illness (Antipsychotics)
- Medication with muscle relaxing effect (Baclofen)
- Medication for Cancer therapy (Amifostine)
- potassium-sparing drugs (e.g. diuretics such as amiloride, spironolactone, triamterene or also heparin)
- Anti-inflammatory and pain medication (nonsteroidal anti-theumatic drugs)
There are so far no interactions with food or drink known. The intake of Lorzaar® can regardless of meal intake be taken. Lorzaar® works best with a glass of water swallowed whole.
As with all drugs, Lorzaar® can also have side effects, so unwanted effects come when taking. Which includes:
- heavy allergic reaction having a rash, itching, swelling of the face, lips, mouth or throat and Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- dizziness, Tiredness, drowsiness, and feeling weak
- low blood pressure or drop in blood pressure when changing from lying / sitting to standing (orthostatic dysregulation)
- too lower Blood sugar (Hypoglycemia)
- too much potassium in the blood (Hyperkalemia)
- Changes in kidney function with kidney failure
- Reduction of red blood cells (anemia) or platelets (thrombocytopenia)
- Increase in urea, serum creatinine and serum potassium in the blood
- a headache, migraine, Depression and sleep disorders
- Pounding / racing heart (palpitations)
- severe chest pain / tightness of the heart (angina pectoris) shortness of breath (Dyspnea)
- Abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
- Hives / rash (urticaria)
- Swelling in certain parts of the body (Edema)
- Cough and flu-like symptoms
- Vascular inflammation
- Numbness or tingling sensation
- Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) and increased liver enzyme levels
- Muscle-, Joint- and Back pain and muscle pain with dark urine (rhabdomyolysis)
- Urinary tract infections
- increased sensitivity of the skin to light (photosensitivity)
- Inflammation of the pancreas (Pancreatitis)
- low blood sodium level (hyponatremia)
- Tinnitus (Ringing in the ears)
- changes in taste (dysgeusia)
Use in children and adolescents
The use of Lorzaar® in children has been investigated, but there is currently only limited experience in the therapy of children and adolescents, so that the doctor treating them must be discussed to what extent the drug is recommendable in the individual case.
For Children under 6 years becomes the application of Lorzaar® not recommended, since effectiveness has not been proven here and there is insufficient experience with the therapy of small children.
Use during pregnancy / breastfeeding
Lorzaar® must not be taken during pregnancy and breastfeeding!
Driving and using machines
So far there are no studies on the influence of the ability to drive or use machines, but an effect of Lorzaar® is unlikely here.
However, it is possible that Lorzaar® just like others antihypertensive agents at the patient dizziness or fatigue can cause. A corresponding effect should be clarified by the attending physician.
Exclusion of liability / disclaimer
We would like to point out that medication must never be discontinued, applied or changed independently without consulting your doctor.
Please note that we cannot claim that our texts are complete or correct. The information may be out of date due to current developments.